The Sens got off to a strong start, scoring 2 goals only 9 seconds apart, to jump out to an early lead. A third goal that banked off a skate by Kelly made it 3-0 and we looked to be on cruise control after a 20 shot 1st period. In the 2nd, we took a few bad penalties and somewhat let them back in the game, but in the 3rd, we put it away on a 2 man advantage, with Alfie tapping in an amazing pass for Alexei Kovalev, who actually decided to show up tonight.
In somewhat surprising news, Brian Elliott was pretty solid tonight, making 28 saves. Perhaps you could fault him on the 2nd goal, but only slightly, and the first one was just a seeing eye shot that he didn't even see, so I can't blame him for that.
As a whole, everyone played pretty well, so I don't have much to complain about tonight. Shoutout to Gonchar for playing in 1000, shoutout to Karlsson for scoring, shoutout to the Foligno-Regin-Kovie line, who were excellent all night.
Other things I noticed:
- Almost 17,000 at SBP tonight, not bad for Phoenix with our horrible play as of late.
- The crowd was pretty lively tonight.
- That Winchester goalie interference call was a joke.
- Winchester got a mean slash to the wrist, don't know if he's ok or not.
- Gonchar made a few subtle defensive plays that I was impressed by.
- Glad to see Zack Smith back in, even tho he doesn't dominate, he brings a different element we don't have.
So a win is a win, and at this point I will literally take any we can get. Let's hope we get this kind of play and effort on Thursday against Florida too.
With 2 goals and one beautiful assist, Alexei Kovalev wins the night.
Thoughts on the game?