Other thoughts from the game:
- Jason Spezza was great all night. He played hard and took an awful hit from behind in the 3rd, but he had a hand in all 4 goals, registering 3 assists and 1 goal, pretty impressive.
- Brian Elliott was solid again, including making back to back saves on consecutive shorthanded breakaways in the 3rd.
- Peter Regin played much better tonight, putting up 2 points, but still hasn't scored through 13, neither has Nick Foligno.
- Sergei Gonchar scored his first as a Sen at home. Back to back games for the Russian, who's playing much better lately.
- Erik Karlsson is looking a lot better as well, perhaps he's just a slow starter.
- The NHL needs some consistency, you can't give Zack Smith 5mins for that hit and then only give 2mins for the Spezza hit. Sends an awful message in my opinion.
- Chris Neil took a horrible penalty that lead to Isles only goal. Smarten up.
- Chris Kelly got his 4th goal of the year, he's playing really well.
- Great to see Campoli and Carkner defend Spezza's honor at the end of the game.
- Crazy to see the NYI have now had six, 6 game losing streaks in the past 2 seasons.
- Carrie Underwood was at SBP tonight, so I figured Fisher would have scored, but perhaps he was saving that for apres jeux with his wife.
- Alfie had one of his quietest games I can ever remember.
So the Sens did what any decent team should do, a pounded a poor, super tired team, but a win is a win. I'm more happy with the fact that Kuba will be returning soon, and that Karlsson and Gonchar are starting to play a lot better. Even Regin and Foligno are stepping it up, even if they haven't managed to score yet. But the biggest positives of the night were Elliott's play and Jason Spezza looking like the elite player we all think he is. So enjoy the win, enjoy being .500 and enjoy being back in playoff contention, but let's get ready for Saturday. On to the next one.....
This will come as no surprise, but with 1 goal, 3 assists and 4 points, Jason Spezza wins the night.
Thoughts on the game tonight?