The Sens put in a valiant effort tonight, about as good as one could expect from a team so over matched and coming off such a poor performance on Thursday. They managed to hold their own for most of the game against one of the NHL's best, before ultimately losing 2-1 in a gritty affair.
Going into the game I hardly had high hopes, but the Sens managed to compete and at times overwhelm the potent Capital teams. We just lacked the finish tonight. It's a loss I can more than live with. The competed and played hard and that's all you can really ask. They just aren't as good as Washington and still nearly stole 2 points on the road.
Other thoughts from the game:
- Stephane Da Costa shaved his head
- Sergei Gonchar left the game after taking a shot to the leg and did not return. I'm sure many of you were somewhat happy with the injury. Not me. I still think we need him despite the poor play so far.
- Alex Auld was pretty solid in his season debut.
- Mika Zibanejad was invisible. I like the kid but I have to figure his time in the NHL this year is almost up.
- Ovechkin ran over Jared Cowen. Shows how strong he truly is. The Jagr hit was no coincidence at the olympics.
- Beauty bit of skill by Peter Jensen, who scored the lone goal and potted 1/3rd of his total from last year.
- Michalek impressed me again.
- The goal that was called back in the first was a horrible call. It should have counted.
With the lone goal, Peter Regin wins the night tonight.