The Senators looked great for 2 periods tonight, before having one of the worst 3rd's in recent memory to fall to the New Jersey Devils in a shootout. Ottawa was up 3-0 and cruising before giving up 4 unanswered goals, including 2 shorthanded one's to go behind 4-3. Jesse Winchester saved the day, scoring with 4.9 seconds left in the game to rescue a much needed point, but the game has to be considered a disappointment regardless. Alex Auld remains win less this season and made zero saves in the shootout.
Other thoughts from the game:
- Sergei Gonchar left the game in the 2nd and didn't return, making it even more likely that Carkner will suit up Saturday for the first time this season.
- As a result of the Gonchar injury, rookie Jared Cowen played 31:42 tonight. Unbelievable! I thought he had maybe his best game as a pro.
- Big fight between Zenon Konopka and Ottawa native Mark Fraser.
- With his 18th goal tonight, Milan Michalek took over sole possession of the NHL goal scoring lead.
- Nick Foligno scored a beauty again. He has 10 goals now this season. Impressive.
- Alfie scored again too. He is clearly not his old self anymore but proves he can still contribute.
- Alex Auld struggled again tonight. Not all of the goals were his fault but he never really made the big save. Including not making a stop in the shootout, though the first shooter Kovalchuk missed the net.
- Parise showed what an all around player he is again tonight. I know many Sens fans are hoping he lands in Ottawa this offseason. I can't see Jersey letting him go.
- Sens chased Marty Brodeur from the nets after the first. He never plays well against us for some reason.
- Rundblad had a very weak attempt in the shootout.
- Zack Smith was very quiet for him tonight. Fatigue perhaps?
Thoughts on the shootout loss?