The Senators scored twice within 2 minutes of the game starting and never looked back, dominating the New York Islanders from start to finish. In fact the score of 6-0 ended up being more flattering than you'd think, as the Sens could have won 10-0. Long Island wasn't ever really in the game even and the Sens were just quicker, hungrier and better in every single aspect of the game. The Sens now have won 3 straight, 4 of 5 and gotten points in 5 straight. An excellent bounce back after the 7 game losing streak recently.
Other thoughts from the game:
- Those Islander jerseys are bad. Like embarrassingly ugly bad. Who approved those?
- Karlsson had another big game dropping 4 points and leading the NHL defenceman scoring race by 17 points over #2 Brian Campbell.
- Brian Lee got his first goal in 99 games. Yes 99!
- Phillips scored again, making it his 3rd of the year. Don't look now but Big Rig is becoming a sniper.
- Alfie missed the net on a breakaway. Unusual.
- Spezza continued his ridiculous hot streak potting 2 goals.
- Anderson wasn't very busy but made a few solid saves to get the shutout.
- Great backcheck to lift up a stick my Michalek who saved a goal.
- Turris drew an assist today. Making it his first point in 8 games and his first point in February.
- Greening. Paging Colin Greening. Where are you? Invisible again.
- We learned that Denis Potvin wanted #7 when he started in the NHL but wouldn't pay $500 to buy the number from another player.
- How mad do you think Tavares is that he signed in Long Island until 2017-18? Horrible franchise.
- Kuba had well over 20 mins of ice time and played very well in a possible showcase for scouts at the game from Detroit and Chicago.
- Love holiday Monday afternoon games. It just seems right.
- I thought Gonchar played a very solid game as well.
- This was the Sens 3rd straight win.
With 2 goals and 2 assists good for 4 points and a +4 rating, Erik Karlsson wins the afternoon.