The Sens were without their 2 best forward in Daniel Alfredsson and Jason Spezza, but it didn't seem to affect them any, as they once again destroyed the New York Islanders on the road 5-1. With the big win, the Senators have now officially clinched a playoff spot. So you can now breathe easier Sens Army. The Sens really dominated from start to finish, with the lone Isles goal coming off a skate to make it 1-0 before the Sens potted 5 unanswered. Kyle Turris was the star of the game, registering 4 points and sending the team back to Ottawa with a postseason birth in tow.
Other thoughts from the game:
- Jesse Winchester suited up for the first time in 44 games and had an assist and didn't look out of place. He may prove to be a valuable depth guy for the playoffs.
- Gonchar played well too. He had 2 points.
- So did Nick Foligno and Milan Michalek
- Karlsson got his 78th point of the year and continues to lead the league in takeaways. He even got a bit of PK time.
- Anderson was steady when he had to be but didn't have much work.
- Phillips didn't look out of place on the PP again.
- Klinkhammer still hasn't scored.
- The Isles are bad, like really bad. Johhny T should ask out of there asap.
- Reported trade deadline day target PA Parenteau was invisible. Perhaps it was good we didn't make a move after all.
- Jason Spezza missed the game due to the birth of his 2nd daughter. They have named her Nicola.
- Alfie missed the game with the flu.
- Gilroy was in for Carkner soemwhat unexpectedly but I didn't notice him at all. As a defenceman, that can be a good thing. Nice to have options sometimes.
- Butler continued to unimpress.
- Nice tilt by Neil. He got the easy decision.
- Quite a few Sens fans in the crowd in Long Island today, nice to see Sens Army on the road.
With 2 goals and 2 assists Kyle Turris wins the afternoon.