For a team that many predicted might fall off this year, it must be satisfying for the team and its fans to be 2-0 to start the season after a very impressive 4-0 shutout win tonight in their home opener against the Florida Panthers. It was a game that couldn't have gone any better really, as the Sens dominated from start to finish, a game where the 4-0 beating might have been a kind reflection of what the game was like.
Kyle Turris had 2 goals, including one off a sweet pass from BFF Patty Wiercioch in the 1st, Jim O'Brien got his first of the year, Craig Anderson had a shutout and Jakob Silfverberg had his NHL goal, but the game was so out of hand really that the true star of the night was MacLean's doppelganger, which had twitter going nuts during the game. The main point is the Sens got the win and are now 2-0 for the first time to start a season since 2007-08, when they began 13-1-0. These same two teams do it all again on Thursday in Sunrise.
Other thoughts from the game:
- Methot was solid again, he will fit in very well here with EK65 if he keeps it up. The hip check he got called for a penalty on was ridiculous by the way.
- Latendresse registered his first point as a Sen with a great tape to tape pass to Turris, who just tapped it in to score his 2nd of the night and his 3rd of the year already.
- Through 2 games the Sens are tied with St Louis for first place in the NHL for goal differential with a +7
- Anderson was solid but not spectacular, but only because he didn't have to be.
- Spezza and Michalek looked better on the PK than they did 5 on 5. They weren't great tonight but good to see we can win without them.
- It's nice to see how defensively responsible Silfverberg is, something I wasn't sure he'd bring to the table. Big day for him, got his first NHL goal and I ordered a Silfverberg jersey this afternoon lol.
- Gonchar looked a lot better to me tonight than on Saturday.
- Zack Smith had the first fight of the year. It was quite forgettable.
- It sure is a nice luxury to roll 4 productive lines isn't it?
- Regin still needs to pick it up big time in my opinion.
Thanks for reading and be sure to follow me on twitter for all your Sens news @SensTown