Well the day finally came and went, as the first day of Senators training camp is now in the books. It's a camp that features few battles for roster spots, consider it more of get in shape and develop some chemistry before the season starts Saturday type vibe. Since it was the opening one ice session, they didn't do anything too crazy. It was more of a get em adjusted to hockey again scenario, that was exclusively filled with drills. That didn't damped the mood of those who came out to watch however, as I'm sure the majority of fans in attendance were dying to see the Sens in any kind of action finally.
Here are my Day 1 thoughts:
- Looks like Silfverberg will at least start the year on the top line, as he skated all afternoon with Jason Spezza and Milan Michalek
- In other lineup news, as many have predicted, Marc Methot was paired with current holder of the Norris trophy Erik Karlsson
- Ottawa native and former 67 Cody Ceci looked quite good, especially his skating skills. I see some EK65 in him from that skill set at least.
- All 3 netminders looked pretty solid. It feels weird to have so much goaltending depth after all these years doesn't it?
- Alfie looked like he hadn't lost a step and looked fired up to be on the ice again. He even lead the team stretch.
- The 2nd line featured Alfie-Turris-Latendresse
- I had high hopes for Regin and paid special attention to him but he didn't do much that was noteworthy.
- Wiercioch looks like he's bulked up a bit and his total game looked like it has been upgraded since last I saw him in person.
- Colin Greening, who spent most of last year on the top line, will likely find himself in the bottom 6 come Saturday in Winnipeg.
- The Sens Store started its 50% off sale and people sure didn't seem to be that mad about the lockout. The lineup was 20+ deep every time I looked in.
So that's it for day 1, as I mentioned it was a fairly slow moving day, but things should pick as the week goes on as the Sens try and figure out if they have a defenceman or two to plug in on the backend or if they will be required to make a trade. I could see one of Benoit, Borowiecki, Wiercioch or Ceci filling up one of the spots but the other will likely be filled via trade sooner than later.
Thanks for reading and be sure to follow me on twitter @SensTown for extra information, the latest news and exclusive pictures throughout the season