The say the only things that are certain in life are death and taxes. Well it may be time to add a crazy Senators game to the list. The team manages to surprise us every single game don't they? Do they ever play a normal game? I don't recall on in the last while that's for sure. How bout them Pesky Sens.
The game started off well enough, with tough guy Matt Kassian scoring very early in the game. Raise your hand if you had Kassian scoring a goal before his first fight? So no one then? The Sens were all over the Islanders for the most part in the opening stanza, until Long Island managed to score a weak one through Bishop's five hole just before the end of the period. It was one he would have wanted back.
The second didn't start much better as the Isles took the lead and the Sens lost Marc Methot all less than 3 minutes into the 2nd period. It didn't get much better from there as Ottawa looked fairly shell shocked and surrendered a 3rd goal before the 2nd frame was over. Down 2 and with only 5 defenceman left, only two of which were regular NHL players before this year, things didn't look too good for the Sens. But this is Ottawa we're talking about.
I don't know what was said at the intermission but whatever was mentioned tonight and in Buffalo should be bottled and saved for big game's as the Senators came out flying. In true Pesky Sens style, Ottawa scored 2 goals very early in the 3rd to tie, in fact they were less than a minute and a half apart. One was a nice Wiercioch shot that was tipped in by Silfverberg and the other was a nice rebound put back by the suddenly hot Zack Smith. Game tied at 3's.
It looked like we were headed to extra time before Sergei Gonchar took a shot from the point with a minute left that somehow found the back of the net. A couple nice defensive plays and a Latendresse empty netter later and the Sens had scored 4 in the 3rd and won the game 5-3. They are now 9 points up on Long Island in the playoff race. What a win! This team is remarkable in every way.
Tweet of the game:
Peskysens? So sic!!!!!
— Robin Lehner(@RobinLehner) March 20, 2013
Other thoughts from the game:
- Ben Bishop let in 2 shaky goals to start but finished well. Still a bit worrisome. He needs one more start to make him a RFA as opposed to a UFA. So he will start again soon to keep as asset locked up for a potential trade at the deadline or offseason.
- As a result of the Methot injury Chris Phillips had played 18:22 through 2 periods. That's a crazy number for the Big Rig. He finished with an insane 27:54 TOI leading the Sens.
- Speaking of Methot, he didn't return but apparently his injury shouldn't keep him out too long. That's amazing news. We can't go without him for too long.
- The reffing tonight was ummmm questionable at best.
- What was going on with Denis Potvin tonight? He was in rare form, even for him.
- Eric Gryba is really starting to struggle and look out of place. He's playing too many minutes at the moment but we have no one to replace him with.
- I thought Peter Regin had a good game. He finished a +2 and had 1 awesome stick toss.
- Wiercioch played well again for me. Still making some mistakes but the potential to be great is there.
- Alfie got his 1100th point on Latendresse's empty netter.
- That's 3 wins in a row and points in 5 straight
Thanks for reading and be sure to follow me on twitter @SensTown